Healthy U is a free, community-based workshop that helps participants learn proven strategies to manage chronic health conditions and feel healthier. Healthy U is for you if:
- You live with long-term health conditions, such as: arthritis, diabetes, lung disease, high blood pressure, heart disease, cancer, chronic pain, anxiety, depression and more;
- You feel tired, alone or stressed by health problems; or
- You are looking for better ways to manage your symptoms
Healthy U workshops are conducted in your community by people like you who have learned to take control of their health. They are conducted in six weekly, interactive, small-group sessions that focus on the participants’ role in managing their own illnesses.
- Strategies to deal with stress, frustration, fatigue, pain and depression;
- Using physical activity to maintain and improve strength, flexibility, and endurance;
- How to use medications safely and appropriately;
- Improve communication with your doctor and your family about your health;
- Using good nutrition to improve health and control symptoms;
- How to evaluate new treatments; and
- Setting and achieving personal health goals.
Each participant receives a free copy of “Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions”, a 374 page guide to self-management.
Healthy U: Diabetes
Healthy U Diabetes uses the same proven model as the regular Healthy U workshop, but it is specifically designed for people who want to learn proven strategies for managing type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes.
Become a Volunteer Leader
Healthy U and Healthy U Diabetes use volunteer instructors, or “lay leaders,” to conduct workshops. Volunteers often have ongoing health issues themselves and benefit from interaction with workshop participant. If you are successfully managing your chronic conditions, consider becoming a lay leader to help others live happier, healthier lives.
Healthy U is Proven!
Healthy U is an evidenced-based program developed by researchers at Stanford University and is sponsored nationally by the U.S. Administration on Aging.
- Gives participants more energy and reduces fatigue;
- Addresses a variety of conditions;
- Leads to fewer emergency room visits and hospitalizations;
- Improves individuals’ physical and social activity;
- Improves participants’ confidence and well-being;
- Is a free program valued at $220
Healthy U is brought to you in Ohio by the Ohio Departments of Aging and Health, Ohio’s area agencies on aging and other local partners.
Steady U – A Matter of Balance
A Matter of Balance is a program of small-group workshops offered in your community to help participants view falls as controllable. A Matter Balance can help you if:
- You are age 60 or older;
- You have fallen in the past
- You don’t do some things you enjoy because you fear falling; or
- You would like to be more flexible, stronger and have better balance.
A Matter of Balance will teach you to:
- View falls and fear of falling as controllable;
- Set realistic goals for increasing activity; and
- Change your environment to reduce fall risk factors
A Matter of Balance is for you if:
- You are concerned about falls;
- You have fallen in the past;
- You don’t do the things you used to enjoy because you fear falling; or
- You want to improve your flexibility, balance and strength.
A Matter of Balance uses trained coaches to teach older adult exercises that will help with strengthening and balance (25-30 minutes during sessions 3 through 8). Each class builds upon the previous week, so plan to attend al eight.
Session 1 Program Introduction
Session 2 Exploring Thoughts and Concerns about Falling
Session 3 Exercise and Fall Prevention
Session 4 Assertiveness and Fall Prevention
Session 5 Managing Concerns About Falling
Session 6 Recognizing “Fall-ty Habits”
Session 7 Recognizing Fall Hazards in the Home and Community
Session 8 Practicing “No Fall’ty Habits” Fall Prevention: Putting it All Together